Saturday, July 2, 2011

Beverage Service

Last month I dissected the magic blender, and revealed its magic beads. I sorta stopped describing the magic at that point, but I did not stop delving into what it could be. I ran into some difficulty in figuring out what was supposed to be going on with the beads.

The problems arrived dressed as information. Much of the information was accurate, but the conclusions did not add up.

The other problem was the sheer magnitude of the information. Each of the five types of material were potentially possessed of magical properties, and there were synergistic properties that created a harmonious balance of magical power with the mixture of beads as a whole.

Only three of the materials were easily associated with a type of magic. These materials were the coral/shell fragment mix, the black beads, and the white beads. While I am still trying to sort out the purported magical properties for the tan and brown beads I thought it would be worthwhile to describe the other three types of magic. I will do this over the next few days.

In addition to the beads there is a significant amount of magic transmitted to the water by the old magic standby: magnets. The action that generates the vortex easily seen in the video I posted is unsurprising to most people who have spent time in a laboratory. The MBU acts like a magnetic stir-plate, and the DPA rotor acts like a magnetic stir bar.

If the DPA rotor were not optimized to produce a vortex one might be able to use the magic blender to stir up iced tea or some other refreshing drink. Because of the vortex any drink made in the magic blender would be quite frothy; I think this would be detrimental to the aesthetics of the drink. I may try some different stir-bars in the DPA to see if it can be made useful.

I also have this vision of myself where I have completely re-configured the MBU to make it a portable rechargeable-battery-driven magnetic stir plate (with nifty LED effects).

The sun is setting behind a set of ragged hills. The horizon is the torn edge of a graphite blackened parchment. The sky becomes the mysteriously dark missing half of the pre-tear document. I see the stars and distant terrestrial lights together forming the patterns made incomplete by the rent of day.


I have the re-configured MBU sitting on a waist-high card table beside me. The red-and-white tablecloth is grey and darker-grey. I reach for the on-switch of the MBU, and turn it on. The stir-bar rattles for a second then catches with a confident whirr. The LED display casts dancing red-and-green shadows on nearby foliage. Soon my tasty beverage will be ready.

No comments: