Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pete Stark -CA 13

It has been pointed out to me that my statements concerning non-representation in the US congress are incorrect. I have been told that there is an atheist member of congress, and that member is:

Pete Stark
CA 13th District

This is somewhat true. In March of 2007 Congressman Stark released the following statement to the Secular Coalition of America:

“I am a Unitarian who does not believe in a Supreme Being''


To many fundamentalists wishing to crucify any liberal congressman, and to Atheists grasping for some level of representations, this is a sufficient declaration of atheism. It is undoubtedly, at the very least, an admission of Deism. It is also the only non- Theist declaration I can remember from a member of Congress.


He may have said stuff at the reason rally this past weekend which will further refine my knowledge about this extraordinary political figure.   I can't wait to see what the Internets bring me on his talk there.

However, to someone with Unitarian family members, to someone who has listened to Unitarian ministers like Salt Lake City First Unitarian Church’s Reverend Tom Goldsmith proclaim the errors of evolutionary biologists from the pulpit, a declaration of Unitarianism falls well short of a declaration of Atheism.

Atheism is not a filter I use to disregard the viewpoints of public figures. If it was I would be left with very few to regard. Stark has many positions I regard as admirable, and I would definitely vote for him if he moved to Utah, and ran in my district. I would even campaign for him, and I believe I could almost guarantee that my efforts would get him at least 10 votes; unfortunately he would probably not get many more than that in my district.

Stark not only has positions I support yet do not define, he has collected great quotes. Here is one he has used from John Kenneth Galbraith that I have also used with great effect:


“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”



No comments: