Sunday, May 29, 2011

Summer's Weekend

It is Memorial day weekend. The local classic rock radio station is playing their take on the 500 greatest rock songs of all time, and they are wrong. The classic rock station counts REO Speedwagon, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Boston, Loverboy, Rush and Toto as the greatest bands of all time so how could they get it right?

Some things are inevitable. Inevitability is an apparent proof to the existence of god, and the fact that he has a plan. Listen closely and you might be able to hear a heavenly choir rockin a disco version of MacArthur Park.

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

The bad taste of corporate classic rock is as inevitable as the earth orbiting around the sun. As it so happens Memorial Day weekend is a milestone in the periodic wobble the earth experiences in its orbit around Sol. Memorial day weekend is the beginning of official summer. I would personally be more awed by this clockwork progression of season if it were not snowing outside.

Snowing!?!
Memorial Day Weekend Snowfall

Season, weather, climate...It would be nice to have a more detailed understanding of each day's contribution to the overall pattern. It is apparently beyond our current meteorological skill to accurately plan for a Memorial day weekend barbeque.

However, there should be things that can be accurately predicted. Last year for Memorial day I predicted that the summer's weather would find me “be too engaged in outdoor activities to regularly update this blog“. I then went on to begin updating the blog at a significantly increased rate. You'd think I would have known better.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your sentiment with one exception - Rush are indeed the greatest band of all time. The rest of the Big Hair middle of the road crap on that list suck big wind and have literally nothing in common with any part of the inventive musical genius of Canada's finest export. Sorry but like most Rush fans my outburst is kind of a reflex action.

adult onset atheist said...

Perhaps I should learn to open my eyes to the blind spot in my musical taste and learn from RUSH:

You and I, we reject these narrow attitudes
We add to each other, like a coral reef
Building bridges on the ocean floor
Reaching for the alien shore
RUSH "Alien Shore"