Sunday, May 6, 2012

DSM 4.5

A couple of days ago I attended a seminar called “Toxic People:Living and Working With High-Conflict Individuals”. It was put on by “The institute for brain potential” and the iteration I saw was a one man show staring one Joseph Shannon from Columbus Ohio. The seminar was a professional development seminar for health professionals. I apparently earned several continuing education credits that can be used for several certifications.

Shannon is a clinical Psychologist and his entertaining all-day lecture included a tour through some of the poor parenting styles that star in the DSM 4. I couldn’t help but catch myself continually thinking how I was guilty of each infraction which would subtly kick my children onto a bottomless pit filled with psychosis and schizophrenia.

I should have taken notes, but with the DSM 5 coming out next year the exact specifications of the damage my parenting has caused will be enhanced by more modern methods of diagnosis.

I was actually somewhat struck by how much neuroscience is used in modern psychology. Instead of the magic black box of my youth the brain now has parts and extracted chemicals. Each of these has some sort of function which ties together sets of symptoms.

I’m sure that eventually the neuroscience will sound more like a source of knowledge rather than an interesting justification for what smart people already know. I wonder what that will look like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Song makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck!

Thanks for making me think.

anj

adult onset atheist said...

A number of Joykiller members have reformed into "The Manic Low". They just released an album. Can't wait to get my hands on it and give a listed!

Anonymous said...

I don't even know how I finished up right here, however I believed this publish was once great. I don't know who you're however certainly you're going to a famous blogger when you aren't already. Cheers!
My web site > Skin Care