Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Making Waves

One hundred and fourteen years ago today a minor tremor just off the east coast of Japan, at 732 pm June 15th 1896, was barely felt by the people who lived on the seacoast. The fishing boats from the Iwate and Miyagi prefectures were mostly offshore trying for an evening catch. They did not notice anything unusual.

When the boats returned they found a floating mass of debris where their villages had been. A 125 foot high tsunami had come ashore washing away over nine thousand homes and twenty-two thousand lives.

At 233 AM on March 2nd 1933 another earthquake in almost the same location triggered another Tsunami which destroyed seven thousand homes and ended several thousand more lives. After the 1933 event measures to reduce the toll of such events were undertaken.

3 comments:

sideswiped said...

I too have explored the wily ways of the mystic God. I find it compelling that history has so many holes in it. I believe we operate in a parallel universe via worm holes that allow aliens to visit us here on this planet, and even if Darwin is right there is not doubt in my mind that natural selection would allow over millions of years for one creature to of evolved with a cerebral brain that separates us from all other species. It had to be introduced genetically. Many hypothesis exist from drawing as hieroglyphics in Egyptian tombs and that of Mayan tombs depicting things that are not of this earth.

Anonymous said...

One of the things I like most about conjecturing about the origins of everything is that no matter what I choose to believe it changes nothing.

adult onset atheist said...

I wonder if the stuff sideswiped’s black holes are made of is more or less than the nothingness that anonymous controls with her believing. Fantastical constructs are entertaining and awesome. If I had a choice (and I think I do) I would imagine the aliens walking amongst us disguised as youong women who appear plain on first glance, but upon closer inspection ooze the sparkling attractiveness of partially obscured physical beauty.