Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Book Club

I often shop at second-hand stores. I’ve convinced myself that the practice of re-using items is ecologically blessed; less landfill, less manufacturing, fewer stripmines, and all sorts of good green. Some second-hand stores even donate their measly profits to agreeably-named charities, like The MS Society. Besides, how many places can you get a good pair of burgundy corduroy bellbottoms these days?

Many “thrift stores” are run by religious organizations. In Utah the most common second hand store is the Deseret Industries (DI). Some people can even buy stuff at the DI with “Bishop Bucks”. Actually, I’m not sure what they call the charity system. I only know what little I’ve picked up while waiting behind people at the check-stand going through some sort of paperwork with the manager double-checking signatures on it;  they then used the paperwork instead of money to pay for their shopping.

I do prefer the secular thrift stores, but the DI is a much more reliable source of ancient wisdom than their competitors. The person who gave me the magic blender I dissected a while back confessed that they got it at a DI. However, the most reliable source of ancient knowledge in the DI is their book section.

Most books on magic theories will mention the author’s reliance on ancient, or forgotten, or ancient forgotten knowledge before the introductory chapter(s) end.

I assume the ancient knowledge they are referring to was lost much the same way their writings were: they were discovered to be total crap and then were discarded.

Unfortunately there is a bit of a culling process that prevents all books donated to the DI from making it onto their shelves. Once, while picking up a larger item at the loading dock of a DI, I spied a load of Y2K survival books in a dumpster. Do you know how hard it is to get books on Y2K survival these days? They are almost all out of print for one thing.

Some gems, along with an incredible assortment of amazing diet plan books, make it through the back-room censors. These books and artifacts contain some ancient wisdom we are at risk of losing again. I think I might be amiss if I did not take a few moments to examine some of this knowledge for the edification of you; my readers.




No comments: