Thursday, June 28, 2012

2012 Utah Presidential Primary

Utah has been called a one-party state, and sometimes it does not even rise to that level. One such time was this Tuesday’s GOP presidential primary.

Because I want to actually participate actively in the US political process I have been a registered Republican since I first moved to Utah about a decade and a half ago. As a result I get all sorts of personal calls from Mitt Romney, and other important republicans. Usually they are asking for support; I think that means money.

Tuesday, when I marched through a set of doors plastered with voter-ID-law notices to vote, I found out that I had been purged from the GOP. I am apparently undeclared now. How do they decide who to purge? Did I anger somebody in the state party headquarters, and if so how can I do it again?

I was able to vote, but only by signing some form they had a large stack of on-hand. The poll workers said that “It happens a lot” and that “Some computer somewhere did it”.

The poll workers did not look amused by my remark that I was pleased to be a republican because it was obviously the party of our future robotic overlords.  they probably thought I was making a snide remark about Mitt Romney.  One does not make snide comments about Mitt Romney in polite Utah GOP company. 

I compliantly cast my electronic ballot.

Despite the fact that he had long ago dropped out of the race I voted for Newt Gingrich. The vote was safe, and the other options poor. I still hope that someone will pick up on his moon-base proposal and make it happen. Despite the fact that I don’t really think Newt would make an acceptable president the moon-base proposition is the best policy proposal I have heard from any candidate, ever.

My vote helped propelled Newt into capturing a double digit percentage of the Utah voting population. By double digit I mean 0.49%, or almost one half of one percent. This large showing solidly secured him fourth-place in the race.

Rick Santorum secured a triple-digit percentage with 1.52% of the vote. Ron Paul, who may be the only person confused about the status of the GOP nomination going into these last primaries, came in second with a resounding 4.70%. Ron Paul really gained ground from his 2008 Utah showing where he only managed to get 2.99% for his third-place showing in that race.

Mitt Romney was the big winner. As far as I can make out his 93.05% win is the largest margin of victory in a contested presidential primary ever. I could be wrong. Heck 93.05% even beats Mitt’s 2008 Utah win. In 2008 Mitt only won a measly 89.49%. Could the extra 3.56% presage a national victory for Mitt?

7 comments:

Joshua M. Kreeck said...

I heard it referred to as North Korea numbers...which I have to say is hilarious.

I am fortunate enough to live in Salt Lake County where we have a competitive Democratic Party and so I at least can say that on a county, city and occasionally state level my vote means slightly more then nothing.

adult onset atheist said...

The Utah GOP primary numbers do look bad. It can look like everyone is not-so-subtly goose-stepping in synchronization to invisible orders. When one tries to realize that Utah maintains a caucus-primary system to keep its GOP primary “in line” it can cause neurological damage.

BTW: I love what Salt Lake’s Mayor has done for bike access

Joshua M. Kreeck said...

I spent several days leading up to the "mass neighborhood meetings" this year trying to explain to my wife how the system works. She simply stared at me until, in the farthest reaches of her eyes I saw a piece of her die. It's an absurd system and needs to be overhauled.

It's a fantastic part of living in the city that is for sure. Having spent some time back east I can honestly say that the proposed bike share plan is a fantastic idea (in Salt Lake City they are to be called Green bikes I believe)and I'll defend them to my dying breath.

adult onset atheist said...

Last summer, when I was earning my world musical record http://adultonsetatheist.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweatin-to-oldies.html, I had the opportunity to ride the bikeshare bikes around DC. They look like the same bikes I saw pictures of for the Salt Lake system (except the DC bikes are red). The bikes are both lead sleds, and wonderful. I hated the seat, the weight, the pedals..., and I still LOVED the bike. I think they are not going in till next year or something; can't wait. I could also have the dates mixed up so I may have less of that waiting that I can't do.

Joshua M. Kreeck said...

The DC bikes are a start. My hope is that they eventually get RIO TINTO to donate some of those sweet bixi bikes from Montreal down here eventually. They were significantly lighter then what I remember of the DC bikes.

A month or two ago I brought it up to Ben Mcadams who is likely to take over as county mayor for Corroon next year and he wants to look into expanding the program out through the county if it's successful downtown. That would be truly great!

adult onset atheist said...

Not being familiar with the bixi bikes I looked them up. Apparently the DC capitol bikeshare bikes are re-labeled bixi bikes. Perhaps they seemed lighter due to the lower level of worry on your shoulders when you were visiting Canada. I hear universal heathcare can do that; perhaps today's SCOTUS decision will make the bikes in Salt Lake appear lighter by the time they get here.

I think they are sweet...in a utilitarian way.

Joshua M. Kreeck said...

You know what? You are absolutely right. I googled all three and they are absolutely the exact same bikes.

Proust could probably turn this whole bit into four or five chapters. Memory that fickle little fiend.

For a moment I wondered if I was thinking of some I may have seen overseas but the frames are so different there is no way and besides that I never touched them. Either way I am really excited for the whole thing. I'm not sure why I would choose not to take out my little beach cruiser for free but I'll bet I find a reason one day.