Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Ballot Box of Mormon Musical

Poll after poll shows that atheists are the most distrusted minority in the USofA. Atheists are constantly at the bottom of lists with titles like: “who would you vote for for public office”. Part of the reason for this is that almost nobody cares. Mormons are also low on such lists, but people do care about this placement.

Here in Utah both of our major newspapers (The Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret News) regularly mention this prejudice (the anti-Mormon one, NOT the anti-atheist one). With the announcement of two Mormon candidates for the Republican presidential nomination the mentioning of this polling information has become a high-pitched whine. Yesterday there was an article in the Salt Lake Tribune completely dedicated to this polling information.

Towards the end of the piece the article suggested one influence that might help raise the numbers of people who would vote for a Mormon:

"Romney and Huntsman could even be helped by the pro-religion feeling generated by some positive media, including the highly popular and acclaimed Broadway musical “The Book of Mormon.”" -- Michael Muskal in the Salt Lake Tribune 20 June 2011


I had not thought about the creators of South Park as forces for political ideology. Of course, now that I think about it, Team America World Police may have given the Bush Doctrine a bit of a lift.

In “The Book of Mormon” musical one of the songs (The song called "I Believe") delivers selected fragments of Mormon theology:

….
I believe that ancient Jews built boats and sailed to America…
….
I believe that God has a plan for all of us.
I believe that plan involves me getting my own planet.
And I believe; that the current President of The Church, Thomas Monson, speaks directly to God….
….
I believe that Satan has a hold of you
I believe that the Lord, God, has sent me here
And I believe that in 1978, God changed his mind about black people!...
….
I believe that God lives on a planet called Kolob.
I believe that Jesus has his own planet as well.
And I believe that the Garden of Eden was in Jackson County, Missouri….
From the song “I Believe” from “The Book of Mormon” musical

Read this a couple of times while humming.
Now, how do you feel about voting for Mitt Romney?


No comments: